From the words or group of words lettered A to D below each of the following sentences, choose the word that is nearest in meaning to the underlined words as it is used in the sentence.
29. His father's death derailed his plans to enter the university.
30. Adamu inadvertently shot his friend dead.
31. The student made scathing remarks about the vice chancellor.
32. Several cabinet ministers joined the president's retinue for the summit conference
33. The manager refused his deputy's request in reprisal for his disloyalty.
34. She spurned the advances of her boss.
35. Whatever he says is irrevocable.
36. Lunatics have some lucid moments.
37. Don't expect anything but hypocrisy from politicians.