After each of the following sentences, a list of possible interpretations is given. Choose the interpretation that you consider most appropriate for each sentence.
19. Peter was on tenterhooks until the examination results were announced. This means that Peter was............
A. unhappy about the examination
B. suspended from the school
C. anxiously waiting for the results
D. detained by the police
20. The military leader blazed the trail by handling over to the civilians. This means that the leader............
A. resigned from the army
B. supported civilian ideals
C. was against the army
D. set an example
21. Life is all about “give and take”. This means that............
A. people should be willing to compromise
B. life gives and takes
C. life is about gifts
D. any gifts should be accepted
22. Jumai's life was in danger but now she has turned the corner. This means that Jumai............
A. has given up hope of recovery
B. has worsen her situation
C. is recovering
D. has died
23. It is unwise for politicians to make off-hand statements to journalists. This means that politicians............
A. should insist on their interviews being recorded
B. would be wise not to speak to journalists
C. should not make any statement to journalists
D. should be sure of whatever they say
24. The dentist told his patient that the toothache would pass off when he took some aspirin tablets. This means that............
A. the tooth will automatically drop off
B. the pains will subside
C. the pains will spread to other teeth
D. the pains would worsen
25. The students made such noise in the class that the teacher read them the Riot Act. This means that the teacher............
A. punished all the students
B. instigated the students to riot
C. warned the student to stop noise or get punished
D. read the school's rules and regulations to the students
26. When I went on leave, I asked Mr Bamson to hold the fort. This means that I asked him to............
A. defend me
B. act in my absence
C. protect my position
D. be strong in my absence
27. The senator's house is the last word in comfort. This means that the senator............
A. has the most comfortable house
B. speaks about comfort of his house
C. owns the last house on comfort Street
D. has a house that is not comfortable
28. I was given a standing ovation for my outstanding performance. This means that............
A. everyone stood up to clap for me
B. everyone stood to catch a glimpse of me
C. everyone congratulated me
D. I was asked to stand up